Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Simple Distraction






I was given the task of photographing my employer's property for a zoning hearing the other day. Normally people would love to be released from desk duty, but in Arizona where at 11am it is around 95 degrees, the last thing you want to be doing is walking around 5 acres taking pictures of the entire perimeter and everything inside it.

But like a trooper I tied my long, red hair up, donned my imitation Dior sunglasses and set out with camera and cigarette in hand.

As I reached the fence line, fearful of the usual scorpions and spiders we have in large numbers, I noticed a few friends on the fence. As you can see from the pictures, we have dragonflies in large numbers and for some reason they are very fond of landing on our wire fence. I love the picture of the three lined up. It reminds me of the F-16's that roar overhead everyday from the Air Force base next door. They appeared to be just waiting their turn for take-off.

These little buggers had no fear of me either. I walked right up and even touched the tail of one. Two flew off of the fence as I approached only to land in my hair. After I had taken all the pictures I wanted and had started my way down the fence I noticed that they seemed to be playing leapfrog to stay next to me. Believe it or not they actually followed me around the entire property.

I got so caught up in watching my new companions that I even managed to forget about the blazing heat I was bathing in. I returned to the fence line today and sure enough they were there. I do not know if they are the same ones because there were 6 today, but I like to think the original three told their buddies about the hot redhead who was flirting with them and the others had to come see for themselves.

2 comments:

Head Cookie said...

LOL too funny Darlin what a great bunch of pics.

Rene Perez said...

This is too funny. I just blogged on my Avery Garrett blog about dragon flies and the lake. I could have used one of those pics darnit!